Many of you may have heard rumors about Christopher Walken playing Darth Bane. However, in looking at the rumor, it's important to note the following events:
- May 1999 - Darth Bane in listed in the Episode I novelization by Terry Brooks as being the first Sith and the founder of the cult.
- April 13, 2000 - AICN reports that Christopher Walken is cast in Episode II.
- May 2000 - Vigilante fans target AICN, Corona, and other sites by sending them bogus rumors in an attempt to try and get them to post stuff.
- July 13, 2000 - AICN posts a note saying Walken is playing Darth Bane. Moriarty claims to have seen a cast list on the Official Site that says so.
- Week of July 17th, 2000 - Radio stations and publications begin announcing that Christopher Walken is playing Darth Bane.
- July 20th, 2000 - Lucasfilm posts an article discussing Darth Bane. Some of the pictures in the post are named "m_schreck.gif" and "vinnycoccotti.gif", both names of characters from Christopher Walken films.
Our theory? It is possible that Walken has a role (or was up for a role) in Episode II. However, we believe that these vigilante fans sent the bogus news about Darth Bane, AICN posted it, then the news media ripped it off of AICN (as they frequently do) and is trying to pass it off as their own news thus making it seem legitimate. Lucasfilm probably had a Darth Bane article ready anyway, but threw in the image files with the character names to throw off fans. The hounds are chasing the fox down the wrong trail! :) That keeps fans guessing and LFL doesn't have to say or do anything.
Keep in mind that this is our theory and we could well be proven wrong. But we have yet to see ANY evidence that Darth Bane has any role in Episode II.
Ah, what a tangled web we surf! The rumor game is afoot! This is one of the more interesting times for fandom and it's good to see LFL playing the game so well. :) But can YOU separate the fact from the fiction?