Written by stacheDaddy
Published on July 17, 2003
John Williams Concert
- July 15th, 2003
Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia
The concert was awesome! The Mann Music Center is a mostly-covered open-air theater with a huge lawn that stretches out the back. The weather couldn?t have been nicer and it looked like the show was sold out.
The setlist included:
- Liberty Fanfare
- Overture to The Cowboys
- Suite from JFK (Theme - Motorcade - Arlington)
- "Adventures on Earth" from ET
- "Flight to Neverland" from Hook
- Selections from Far and Away (County Galway, June 1892 - The Fighting Donnellys - Joseph & Shannon - Blowin' Off Steam - Finale)
- Suite from Harry Potter (Hedwig's Theme - Fawkes the Phoenix - Nimbus 2000 - Harry's Wondrous World)
- Theme from Schindler?s List
- Closing Theme from Star Wars
- Closing Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark
- The Mission (Theme from NBC Nightly News)
The night concluded with a fireworks display after the show. At one point during the concert Williams told a brief story about Schindler?s List. He described how after Spielberg showed him the rough cut without music he had to leave the room because he was so overwhelmed with emotion. When he went back into the room he told Spielberg, ?I can?t do it, I?m just not good enough. You should get a better composer.? Spielberg said to him, ?I know, but they?re all dead.?
All in all it was a great night. If he ever comes to your area don't pass up the opportunity to hear him conduct his own music live. It's an amazing experience you won't soon forget.