We posted yesterday about new information coming out of GamesCom 2011 that places you behind the motion controls of a Rancor in Kinect Star Wars. IGN fills in some more of the blanks regarding the newly announced mode. Here are the cliff notes:
- Destroy lots of stuff! Almost all objects in the level environment can be destroyed or manipulated by the Rancor.
- Points are racked up and achievements are gained based on how much of the environment is destroyed by the end of the level. This includes different awards for combinations and other accomplishments.
- Timed challenges pop up and include such objectives as "Munch 2 people" and "Throw 3 civilians."
- The final version of the game will include 4 varying types of Rancors on four different planets.
- The varying types of Rancors will include one that flies and one that's huge.
And while it was originally unveiled at San Diego Comic-Con 2011, Pod Racing mode is also being displayed to GamesCom attendees. Here's what IGN had to say about the motion controls:
"You drive with both arms held out in front of you. Push forward and the racer will boost. Pull back and it'll slow down. Simple. But turning is a little different. No imaginary steering wheels, here. To bank left, leave your right arm extended and draw you left arm back. The further you pull it back, the sharper the turn. When you pick up some momentum, the camera will zoom in, recalling the famous POV shot from the first Phantom Menace trailer. It's a nice touch."
In GamesCom Kinect Star Wars news from elsewhere, VG247.com provides a number of screenshots and a look at how hardcore gamers will be able to enjoy the game along with those of the casual variety.
A number of coverage articles note that more gameplay mode reveals are expected throughout the fall. DigitalSpy.com reports that the next of those reveals can be expected at Tokyo Game Show 2011(September 15 - 18).