Published on December 14, 2000
ILM Event - Field Museum, Chicago
It took place at the Field Museum in Chicago (home of the Magic of Myth for the time being), December 9, 2000, from 9.30am to 5.00pm. The symposium was called "The Stories behind Star Wars and Sue: Envisioning Environment in Film and at the Field" and featured the following speakers:
- Paul Huston - Digital Matte Artist at ILM.
- Michael Burn - Manager of Exhibit Design at the Field Museum.
- Lorne Peterson - Master Model Maker at ILM. (Later in the symposium we were invited to tour the exhibit; he was standing next to Anakin's pod and chatting. He built it by himself.)
- Matthew Groves - Replication Shop Supervisor at the Field Museum.
Tyler Keillor - Paleoartist, Sculpture, Mold Maker at the Field Museum.
- Rob Coleman - Animation Director at ILM.
- Francie Muraski-Stotz - Manager of Exhibition Development at the Field Museum.
The moderators were John McCarter and Andrew Patner.
Amusing titbits from the Event:
Although George Lucas's face is rumoured to be in the podrace arena, according to Mr. Coleman, George asked not to be in it. Mr. Huston then hastened to remark that regardless, someone in his department put the famous face in Theed Palace. Keep your eyes peeled!
According to Mr. Coleman, George Lucas specifically asked for "THX 1138" to appear on a battle droid.
About 10 minutes of an official LFL tape of Episode II behind the scenes footage was shown. Looks like it's gonna be great!!!! (big surprise)
In the gallery Mr. Coleman was utterly besieged by Gen-Xers trying to stuff their business cards in his pocket. Quite amusing to watch.
I think that's about it. It was incredible.