August 27th will feature Star Wars Day at the Los Angeles Zoo. Fans can expect lots of costumed characters, trivia, zoo animal/Star Wars character comparisons, and even sneak peaks at the Star Wars saga on Blu-ray. Basic details are below but make sure to visit LAZoo.org for more details.
Star Wars Day at the Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:00am to 5:00pm
5333 Zoo Drive Los Angeles, CA 90027 323-644-4200
Sneak Peaks at Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Children?s Discovery Center - Witherbee Auditorium 11:00am 12:00pm 1:00pm 2:00pm 3:00pm
UPDATE:Star Wars Day at the Los Angeles Zoo is this weekend and, as a reminder of the event, here is the press release with full details.
STAR WARS? DAY AT THE LOS ANGELES ZOO
Zoo Visitors to Meet Guests from the Galactic Empire
On Saturday, August 27, the Los Angeles Zoo will take you to a galaxy far, far away! For one Zoo day only, guests can meet Stormtroopers, R2-D2, members of the Rebel Alliance, dozens of Star Wars characters, and master of the dark side himself - Darth Vader. In addition to the characters at the Zoo and in celebration of the September 16th release of Star Wars: The Complete saga on Blu-ray, the Zoo will also be screening a special feature included on the Blu-ray.
Star Wars Character Meet and Greets 10am to 5pm ? Zoo Eucalyptus Grove Meet Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, R2D2, bounty hunters and members of the Rebel Alliance. Find many of your favorite Star Wars characters roaming freely throughout the day.
Star Wars Special Features & Trivia 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm - Children?s Discovery Center - Witherbee Auditorium Watch a sneak peak of a special feature from the upcoming release of Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray in the Witherbee Auditorium. Then, guests? knowledge of the Force will be tested with Star Wars triva giving particpants the chance to win intergalactic prizes including copies of The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide from Chronicle books and plush Chewbacca from Underground Toys.
Star Wars Creatures and L.A. Zoo Animals Learn how Jabba the Hutt and Jabba (the L.A. Zoo?s hippo) are similar and how Ewoks and koalas are different. There are plenty of similarities and differences between many Star Wars creatures and animals at the Zoo. Education Specialists team up with Star Wars characters to create an out of this world learning experience.
Education Schedule: 11:30 AM at Australia (Near #12 on Zoo Map) 1:30 PM at Elephants of Asia & Red Ape Rainforest (Near #33 on Zoo Map) 2:30 PM at Tiger Plaza (Near #62 on Zoo Map)
The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens is located in Griffith Park at the junction of the Ventura (134) and Golden State (5) freeways. Admission is $14 for adults and $9 for children ages 2 to 12. The Zoo is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. For information, call (323) 644-4200 or visit the L. A. Zoo Web site at www.lazoo.org. Follow the Zoo on Facebook and Twitter.
Star Wars Character / L.A. Zoo Animal Comparison with Animal Facts
1. Bantha / Billy the Asian elephant a. The elephant is the world?s largest living land mammal. Compared to African elephants, Asian elephants are smaller overall with smaller ears and have just one ?finger? on the tip of their trunk.
2. Gamorrean / Visayan Warty Pig a. Visayan Warty Pigs have long, mobile, disk-like snouts that help root around in the earth for their favorite foods. Males possess large canines that protrude from their mouth as tusks. Their senses of smell and hearing are extremely keen.
3. Ewok / Koala a. Koalas may be small in size, but they eat approximately two and a half to three lbs. of foliage daily. Their diet consists only of eucalyptus. They have the ability to digest the highly toxic leaf.
4. Dewback / Komodo Dragon a. The komodo is the largest lizard in the world and will eat almost anything ? snakes, lizards, reptile and bird eggs, carrion, deer, pigs, goats, and dogs.
5. Tuantuan / Kangaroo a. Kangaroos are marsupials, meaning females have a pouch hold infants as they mature. They have large feet and a large muscular, tapered tail that acts as a rudder for balance when hopping.
6. Wookiee / Orangutan a. Orangutans are the largest tree-dwelling mammal. They have long, shaggy, orange-red hair. The males are about twice the size of the females with an arm span of over seven feet.
7. Reek / Rhino a. The scientific name for the Indian rhinoceros, unicornis, means ?one horn? in Latin. Because of its singular horn, the Indian rhino has been associated with the unicorns of legend.
Lucasfilm, the Lucasfilm logo, STAR WARS? and related properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. TM & ? Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.
Rebelscum Breast Cancer Awareness Charity Patch Posted By Philip on November 25, 2014: Thanks to everybody that ordered patches. I sent a check for $1,600.00 to the National Breast Cancer Foundation on Monday. While it's not as much as I hoped for, it's still very much appreciated. They will remain for sale in the store for anybody that still wishes to purchase them. Details after the jump.