Our good buddy and official IndyCast correspondent (and now published author) Mitchell Hallock sends in this update concerning a new convention called ComiCONN that will be held in Connecticut later on this year:
"The first ever show of its kind happening in North Haven, Connecticut this May 15th . . . COMICONN - A show for the Fans by the Fans!
Alternate Universe comic shops, Death Ray Weekly and Indy Marketing have joined forces to design a con like no other, intended to bring all the excitement, collecting, costuming and FUN of a big city con - without all the expense, traffic and general rudeness! Being lifelong "fanboys" we got together and discussed what we truly love about convention going and what we despise like a Wampa hates a sunlamp and came up with ComiCONN (ad the extra "n" for Connecticut) and created an agenda that will please everyone. Since we are in Connecticut between the Big Apple and Boston we managed to get the type of show, folks in the area expect, but without the hassle.
Not only will the show take place a few miles away from the set of Indiana Jones' Marshall College (a.k.a. Yale University), but we will have a focus on celebrating Lucasfilm's other big part of film history (no, it isn't "Howard the Duck")!
Given that our premiere event takes place almost to the day of the 30th Anniversary of "The Empire Strikes Back" we went all out and added a Star Wars flavor to the show:
- Best of all we will have on hand, Hoth Rebel Trooper Tigran Jamiro from "The Empire Strikes Back" actor Ray Hassett, in his FIRST EVER convention appearance. Not only did Mr. Hassett's character warn Han Solo about the snowspeeders not working and warning Han about his TaunTaun freezing before the first marker (which Han nicely replied that he would "see him hell" ), but Ray has also appeared in other genre classic's like "Superman","The Spy Who Loved Me" and more. Come meet Mr. Hassett, bring your Star Wars collectibles to get signed, and celebrate the 30th anniversary of "The Empire Strikes Back" as well as hear about what it was like to be on the set of the Star Wars classic and work with director Irvin Kershner.
- The ForceCast's favorite band will be there as Glen Nelson and "Spaghetti Cake" going by their other name "High Adventure" performing at the end of the show.
- Stormtroopers, scout troopers, royal guards and other Star Wars costumers from the ConnSquad of the 501st. We will also be raising money for the Tommy Fund, which helps Children battling cancer through the pediatric oncology section of the department of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine.
- Star Wars fan favorite artist Kevin Liell will be attending the show. Mr. Liell will also be donating a piece of art to the ComiCONN raffle, as well as being part of the Star Wars Trivia Contest!
- Custom Astromech builder Dana Powers will be attending the show with a fully operational R2-D2.
- In addition to these Star Wars themed events, the show will have comic book legendary writers and artists like; Dick Giordano, Ron Marz, Frank McLaughlin, Jerry Ordway, Mike DeCarlo and others who will be onhand to talk about their work on Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Spider-Man and other heroes.
ComiCONN will have Q&A sessions hosted by the IndyCast's official correspondent, Mitchell Hallock, kid's activities, costume contest, exclusive show prints and merchandise fellow Star Wars and comic fans for "a day that will be long remembered"!
Thanks to Mitch for the heads-up and have fun at the show!
UPDATE: Just a friendly reminder that Connecticut's first ever ComiCONN kicks off today. For those planning on attending, be aware that a film crew from ABC's Nightline will be onhand at around 11:30am to get footage for an upcoming piece on the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back. Good luck getting on TV!
Rebelscum Breast Cancer Awareness Charity Patch Posted By Philip on November 25, 2014: Thanks to everybody that ordered patches. I sent a check for $1,600.00 to the National Breast Cancer Foundation on Monday. While it's not as much as I hoped for, it's still very much appreciated. They will remain for sale in the store for anybody that still wishes to purchase them. Details after the jump.